You won’t believe how easy it is to make this woodland animals playset from recycled materials you already have at home. With a few toilet paper tubes and some milk cartons you and your kids can create these adorable handmade toys.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I think woodland animals might be my favorite kids theme, especially for a kids bedroom or playroom. Maybe that’s why our Wisdom Owl Craft turned into an entire woodland animal playset. My kids love it when I go overboard with crafts, and this one was so fun. It’s a perfect family activity for fall.
How to Make the Woodland Animals
What You’ll Need:
- Toilet paper tubes
- White paint pen (Found at any art supplies store. I found mine at Walgreens.)
- Black marker
- (Optional) Paint or watercolors for the kids to decorate the animals
- For the owl, flatten the cardboard tube and cut slits on each side to create the wings. (Pictured below)
- For the fox and the raccoon, flatten the toilet paper tube and cut a slit down one side to create the tail.
- Push the sides in to bring the tube back to a cylinder. Fold out the wings and the tails.
- Push the top down to create the ears, first from the back, then from the front.
- Using the white paint pen, draw the belly and the eyes onto each animal. You can also draw the white fur onto the tails.
- Using the black marker, draw the pupils, eye lashes, the raccoon’s mask, and any other details onto your animals.
At this point my kids wanted to paint them. Watercolors worked great because they didn’t cover up the animals’ features.
Now onto the houses!
How to Make Milk Carton Houses
Milk carton houses make perfect homes for your little woodland animals. Here’s how to make them.
What You’ll Need:
- Empty milk cartons, washed and dried.
- Brown paint
- White paint pen
- Box cutter (not pictured)
- A lid for drawing the windows
- (Optional) Cardstock and glue for a chimney and a bead for a doorknob
- Using the box cutter, cut out a door. Just cut the left side and the top all the way through to create a door that will open and close.
- Paint the milk cartons brown.
- Using the paint pen, outline the door and draw on the windows. To create round windows, trace a jar lid.
- Decorate! We glued on a chimney to cover the spouts of our milk cartons. We also glued on beads to make doorknobs.
Time to play! This activity got me and my kids in the mood for autumn, so we pulled out our fall decorations and added some pine cone trees to our scene.
I would love to see your toilet paper animal creations! Follow us on Facebook and post your pictures in the comments!
Don’t forget to Pin this activity for later! Looking for more Fall activities for kids? Head over to Pinterest and check out our Fall board.
Sign up for our email list and never miss an activity:
You might also like:
Noah’s Ark Banana Snack
God’s Gifts Printable Preschool Activity
Joseph’s Coat Paper Bag Puppets
Watercolor Paper Plate Crown